My summer reading will include a few books that I have wanted to reread and a few new ones that I have on my ever-growing list.This morning, I finished my third reread of To Kill a Mockingbird , which is probably at the top of my all time favorite books. I don't usually reread books and I very rarely buy books to keep, but this is one that I hope to reread each year.
Next on my list is Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude and I have had a few friends tell me to make sure to read it.
I am also hoping to read The Great Gatsby and The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. I don't know that this is light summer fare, but summer is the only time that I can actually take some time to read during the day.
If anyone is interested in sending along some other top reads...especially books that you reread or your top favorite book of all time, I would love to continue creating my list.
Thomas and I also made a deal to choose one book to read together and to choose one book for each other to read from genres we enjoy. We haven't actually picked yet, but I hope we will soon. I think I am going to have to gear up for The Hobbit!
Plus, I think we want Ian and Connor to see that reading can be a quiet activity that you can enjoy with others or by yourself. Ian already loves reading books and Connor is slowly becoming more intrigued. Reading was always a big part of our lives growing up, so let the habit continue.

6 comments:
Leading by example is a good thing :)
I've got two books that I've been trying to finish reading -one I've been dabbling with for almost five years and the other, only for about two years now. The books: "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "Anna Karenia." Both fat books and both really difficult for me to push myself to read them too. It's not the size that's daunting to me (I've read oodles of books that were really fat, long reads and that only took me a matter of days to whip through them.) But these two, I start and just can't seem to stay with either of them. And, for me, that's a challenge cause I hate to leave a book unread, unfinished!
One Hundred Years of Solitude is an amazing book. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I loved the writing. I think you'll enjoy The Hobbit. The books are so much better than what was done to them in the movies. (I'm one of the few people who hated those movies, I guess. They didn't reflect the spirit of the books at all, as far as I'm concerned... but I rant...) What a great committment to make - and a great way to teach your children about the joy of reading.
I think this is great! Tom and I were HUGE readers as kids. I still am, but I don't get to do it as much as I would like. Anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is amazing - I read One Hundred Years of Solitude and was blown away. For new reading material, try Barbara Kingsolver. She lives up in Tucson. The Poisonwood Bible is one of my all-time favorite books. Happy Reading!!
Great idea! Enjoy your reading!!
That is awesome. We started book time here. I need to get Rick some books. He is not interested in mine. I wouldn't mind borrowing your Marquez book when you are done. I actually am almost done with my huge pile of books that has been hanging about!
Post a Comment