Friday, April 11, 2008

Autism Awareness Day 11: The Great Vaccine Debate



This picture was taken in the end of July 2007, following our trip to New York and a few days after Connor's MMR shot. Yes, I am going to bring up the shot.

Notice the look on my son's face. As adorable as he is, cheeks begging to be pinched and all, he looks very melancholy and quiet. Connor, almost overnight, seemed to be in his own world. We'd call his name and he wouldn't even look at us. My husband would clap loudly right in his ear and Connor would not even flinch, let alone look at us. (meanwhile, Ian would be clapping furiously, showing us that he did, in fact, hear us) One night, Tom and I had put the boys to bed and were talking casually. We both seemed to bring up the fact that Connor appeared not to hear us, acknowledge us with eye contact or turning when calling his name. It seemed almost eerie. Once we concluded that something was amiss, we made our best guess and figured Connor had some hearing loss issues. I even told my mother-in-law and she responded by encouraging us to visit the pediatrician to have him evaluated to be sure.

Thomas, in the meanwhile, did some mini-experiments with Connor. We knew he enjoyed snacks and so Tom would open the fridge and get some juice or loudly take out a box of Goldfish. Connor, from the other end of the house, would come in, snack radar intact. He tried another experiment with the television, putting Connor in his room in the far end of the house. Tom muted the TV volume, but turned the set on. Connor, as if on cue, came from his room, directly to the TV. That raised a few questions, but as always, you figure the hearing loss is maybe one ear and not the other-on and on.

I also spoke to our daycare provider, Alexis, who confirmed that Connor did seem different. She noticed that he turned his head away from her on the diaper table and did not respond to any of her conversation in any way. We all acknowledged that Connor seemed to be more difficult at times-either screaming and crying or completely disinterested in what was going on around him.

Visiting our pediatrician was the turning point. Dr. Mike is excellent. He has talked to us about vaccines before and believe it or not, we did question giving the vaccines back when Ian was younger. He stated that there was no proof that vaccines cause autism and we listened and didn't have further reason to research on our own. Ian was completely fine following his shots, so we didn't really question Connor's MMR shot.

Dr. Mike had asked us a few questions about Connor during our July visit-how many words does Connor say? I came up with two. Connor didn't really point or gesture. Connor doesn't really talk very much yet but he knows shoe and can go get it. He received his MMR shot and we were done.

Now we were back in August, worried about hearing loss. Dr. Mike sat quietly watching Connor for a bit, then dropped a huge textbook on the floor next to him. No reaction. (I jumped.) He talked to Connor for a bit and asked more questions. More about pointing. No, he doesn't point. More about words. Well, it seems like all the words, all two of them, seem to be gone. It's like he doesn't know them anymore. More about eye contact. No, no eye contact. I told him all of our accounts and experiments and how we'd like to check his hearing.

Dr. Mike told us that while hearing loss was entirely possible and he would recommend Connor for an evaluation; that didn't appear to be the problem. What appears to be the problem was that Connor was not communicating and showing shows of autism. I admit that I was stunned when he said autism. It was the furthest thing from my mind. It was like someone just slapped me in the face and woke me up. He explained autism and told us that he treats several patients with autism. He reassured us that these children are great kids, just sometimes a "little quirky." He let us ask questions. He spent probably a good half hour with us, making no move to rush us out or anything. He talked us through the application for early intervention and encouraged us to get moving on it. He told us how many children are successful with early intervention and how they can regain what they have lost. He also told us that he noticed some lack of eye contact in Connor before the MMR shot in July and because we did give indication that he was building some vocabulary, he didn't find enough cause for concern. We left a bit bewildered.

Thomas had an idea that it might be autism. He didn't voice it to me. My mother-in-law also had that thought, but again, they waited to see. I didn't know. I remember going back to pick up Ian and talking to Alexis about Connor's visit and just crying. I didn't know what to think.

Connor's hearing evaluation was completely normal. We had a chance to read about autism and suddenly we saw it. On the official evaluation day, when the two doctors diagnosed him-we knew it was right. It didn't make it any better, but again, making peace with autism didn't come overnight.

Many of my friends ask me about the MMR vaccine, knowing about Connor and his timeline. Some even ask me, as if I am some authority, whether they should or should not vaccinate. Whether they should split the shot or not. Do I believe it causes autism? What do I believe?

I believe in vaccinations. I do. I'd even vaccinate Connor again. BUT....I would not give him the vaccine in one mega-dose. I would space out the shot over a period of time. Whether that would help or not, I don't know. Honestly, I don't think it would change a thing. But, my time for choice has passed and to look back with regrets over what I should have done will suffocate me emotionally. I refuse to live with that on my shoulders. Truthfully, I think autism was here from day one anyway.

I do believe that my son somehow is genetically predisposed to being affected by autism and perhaps the amount of the vaccine is more than his body chemistry can handle and exacerbated the symptoms. Nothing scientific backs that up. Nothing. Perhaps it is coincidental that the vaccine and regression seemed to line up. Many families also note that the timing of the MMR and noticeable signs of autism do appear linked. Somewhere in my mind, I wonder about that. But you also have to know that in my heart of hearts, I think Connor was showing signs from day 1. Sensory problems were all there in infancy. I see them now that I am in the know.

I also believe that there is a definite heredity link in autism and that fact is more and more apparent to me, not only in my own family, but in other families who have multiple children and even parents affected by autism. I believe that if I have another child (and the shop IS closed), his/her chances of having autism are greatly increased.
Dr. Mike gave us the best advice. Don't focus on why Connor has autism. We don't have time for that now. Keep focused on the now, on the present and move forward with helping him in his life now.

Some might be critical that I am not doing all that I can to figure out the whys. When you want to live in my shoes and do my job for me, let me know. I am not a scientist and I don't have any idea why autism is on the rise or why my youngest son has it but the older one doesn't. I can speculate but that doesn't make me right. I don't make decisions for other moms, but I'll support them and give them my story, but I will not tell them they are right or wrong, only what I know is true for me.

And that is my one and only post on vaccines. And that picture up above is one of my very favorites of my son because he is just so innocently beautiful to me, no matter what.

10 comments:

Raven said...

He's so beautiful. He looks like you, but then I bet he looks like Thomas too. Wonderful photo. I just want to hug him - which of course he would hate. But I'm sending him a heart hug. You too.

Linda Murphy said...

Hi Raven-I don't know that you caught the actual post....I accidentally posted the picture before I wrote the entry!

Connor is actually going to be one of those kids who is probably going to be overly huggy. He would hug you in a heartbeat, just ask Cindy. As long as it is a good squeezy hug and not too light, he'll accept.

Yes, this is probably one of my top favorite Connor photos.

Thomas said...

This too is one of my favorite Connor photos. Oh yes, he is seriously huggy. Maybe even dangerously huggy! Connor has been coming to meet me at the door when I get home from work. Kneeling down, he trots over for a hug. It is totally awesome!

To add to Linda's story-

Last year, my teaching colleagues and I at the elementary school where I work would meet for lunch almost every day. Music (me), Science, Current Events, Art, Phys Ed. and Library. We got into some great conversations that year, and even some heated arguments. Last April, we got into a discussion about vaccinations. The art teacher stated she did not believe in vaccination and that her children have not been vaccinated. When asked why, she said, "There is research that says they cause autism."

I thought that idea was pretty much crazy. I even arrogantly told her as much. She is also from Long Island so we could get away with being a bit rude to each other when stating our opinions. It was even expected sometimes. (I have since spoken with her and apologized for not even listening.)

The next day she gave me a brochure about the link between vaccines and autism. I of course was not convinced. I don’t think I even read it. Some studies can get you to believe anything. Our older son had all of his vaccines and he was totally fine. Why should anybody be any different? And that couldn't possibly happen to my child.

Well it did. Yes, we can remember the signs of sensory disorder going way back to his infancy, now that we know what to look for. Getting him to sleep at night was always just short of a total nightmare! (He gets to sleep really well now, he just wakes up at the crack of dawn!) Verbally and physically though, he was on track. He started speaking and walking even earlier than our older son. But something changed Connor last summer. Yes he must have been predisposed, but I am convinced that something did this to him. Something pushed his little body over the edge. Would he have progressed the same no matter what we did? Was he destined from birth to have autism and was it just a matter of time? We will never know for sure what it was, and it doesn’t matter right now. It took me a long time and a lot of help from Linda for me to move forward and accept his situation. Should we have done it differently? Should I have headed a warning that I didn’t believe? Not a day goes by without me thinking about him having autism.

Connor needs so much more than that. I try to see him as he could be in the future. I picture him playing soccer and going hiking. He can kick a ball and has already gone on a few hikes (in the backpack mostly!). I try to imagine what we could talk about. I want to just hang out my son and get to know him. I have so much fun hanging out with Ian. Being a father to bright and eager children is incredibly rewarding. But I also want to stop comparing him with his older brother. Connor needs to be a child first in our minds, with autism being just something that he happens to deal with. I want to have my little boy who is just "quirky". But most of all, I want him to know that I love him.

T

Jeni said...

Linda -and Thomas too,
This was a beautiful post -so well-written and explaining not just your emotions when you received Connor's diagnosis, but your thoughts prior and since as well.
Having been with Maya and Kurtis 24/7 since day one home from the hospital, in retrospect, there were many indicators that just grew into larger markers -not something that just appeared after any of their shots so I don't believe their vaccines caused this. I won't say the vaccines couldn't exacerbate the autism, but I do believe autism was present from the beginning.
With all the work and knowledge you both are gaining in how best to help Connor, I'm sure you will see a very positive outcome in the future but it does sometimes seem to take forever before things begin to register. However, once they do -then Katie bar the door, cause a lot of it then seems to come in a flood -or at least for Maya it did. Kurtis has a lot more issues so I think it's going to be a longer, more difficult journey with him but we'll get there.

the walking man said...

First time here and I get this accurate,sad yet honest piece of a mother's heart.

I would that it was possible to walk in your shoes for a bit that you might have rest on your journey but seeing that is the great impossible in this place.

All I have to offer is words and the most overused word I over use is

PEACE

mark

Unknown said...

Linda: Such a beautiful little boy! This was the first time I really heard in-depth what the experience was like from a Mother's point of view. Others will read this on the web crawler and find help faster. There is but no doubt that research is aggressively underway to unlock the puzzle of Autism. And I believe this will happen.

Raven said...

Linda and Thomas - you are both so eloquent and so full of love. Your kids are very lucky.

I've seen and read a lot about vaccines being connected to autism, whether it causes it, aggravates it, or a mix of both - as you say - at this point in your lives is irrelevant. Your son comes first.

I've come to believe that everything happens for a reason and that there is a divine purpose. Ian is exactly who he is meant to be - and he is a wonderful beautiful child with two magnificent parents and a sweet, handsome older brother.

The world is a richer place for the four of you being in it.

julie said...

Linda, you're absolutely right - you can't focus on the whys. I've only known Connor since just after he was diagnosed, but I remember how worried and determined you both were to take action.

It's paid off.

Because you both were paying attention, because you both decided to go back to the doctor when you realized something was wrong, Connor has made progress in leaps and bounds. He is very smart, very loving, and to my eyes at least he doesn't seem all that different from many two-year-olds that I've known. Yes, he's autistic, but mostly he's just Connor. And he's a wonderful kid.

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda! I posted about an immunization case (an article)..actually, two. Nice to see we're on the same wavelength.

I really like what you had said, especially in your last paragraphs..it pretty much sums it up for me and mine!

Thank you for sharing more great thoughts! *HUGS & SMILES*

Jo said...

I came here from Dianne's, and I'm so glad I did. I'm going to bookmark this post & pass it along to all the families I've met who are beginning their own journeys with autism--your words are so honest & strong...a light to anyone who prays to also find their peace with autism (I love how you expressed that)...just to know they can, and will, get there.

Linda & Thomas, your son is beautiful...and from this brief glimpse into your lives, what I see is that Connor also inspires beauty around him. So adorable that he's huggy :)