It is uncanny how some children connect with animals in such a kindred spirit way. We don't have pets and many have read my motto about "No Pets", following our two ornery cats, Linus and Maven. I like animals, but I tend to enjoy other people's pets instead of having my own.
Connor enjoys animals and gravitates to pets in several households. Tasha and Jo-Jo are the two dogs at daycare and he has to greet them and say goodbye to them. He especially loves hearing them bark when he arrives. Sam is Uncle Mike and Aunt Terri's cat, who is not particularly fond of children, but has allowed Connor to stand close by-petting is not usually permitted, but Connor seems undaunted. Charlie and Sadie are Cindy's two dogs who are really great with Connor, plus her cat Fitz and Sophie who allowed Connor to pet them and played with him over anyone else.
Sometimes I think it's an alternate form of communication. Pets don't have the easiest means to communicate and certainly kids with autism don't either. Maybe that is their secret connection and they just get each other. Maybe pets know when certain kids need a little more TLC. Who really knows.
There are autism service dogs who work with children who have safety awareness issues, one who will unlock the door and leave their house to wander, give the kids something else to do besides stimming and provide a lot of unconditional love. They also give the parents some peace of mind that their children are a little safer. It's not foolproof, as you will read in one of the links below where one service dog was not appropriately trained or just wasn't a good match for this type of work. I imagine that certain dogs, not necessarily service dogs, with behavioral training could do wonders for children with autism.
So, why do I not run out and get Connor a dog?
Selfishly, we do not have the time to add a dog right now. Our schedules are inconsistent and so much happens during the week between working two jobs, therapies and finding downtime. I don't feel we could all give a dog what he/she needs to be happy here. I worry that I don't even give my boys enough time as it is. For now, we are happy to visit our pet friends and there are plenty. Julie's cute dogs are coming to stay next weekend, so it will be great fun. Kind of like being an aunt to a dog-they go back home after awhile.
Here are a few websites that have information about service dogs for children with disabilities. Never underestimate the power of a pet to enrich a child's life. I promise my kids someday, we'll have one too.
And p/s, one of the best things I've read today....it's not autism, it's AWE-tism. How cool is that?
4Paws for Ability
Autism Service Dogs of America
North Star Service Dogs
Article: Program Uses Dogs to Help Autistic Kids
Chicago Tribune Article about Service Dogs and Children with Autism
More information on Autism Service Dogs
10 comments:
If they knew they are going to your place next weekend, they'd be sooooo excited. Lyra's moping right now (her ear is bleeding again, so I had to put back the hood and even worse the cone when I left this evening), but I bet a couple days at your house will cheer her right up :)
Well, I'm glad your kids get exposure to animals at least. My life is so much richer for having four-leggeds in it. My own mother didn't like animals (too messy among other things) so we never had pets. When the time is right, I hope you'll be able to find a four-legged of your own, but it's wise to know your limits in this life. And by pet-sitting, you get a feel of what it's like to have the extra stresses and joys of a pet in your life without the life-time commitment. Hope you all have fun next weekend. I'll have to check out the links. Angel and Tara Grace say "hey."
A cousin of mine recently wrote to tell me about service dogs for autistic children. She said a friend of hers from her church recently acquired one for her autistic child. About a week ago, my cousin wrote again to tell me her friend's child had the dog with him at school and the school administration told them they could not do that. How ridiculous is that? A service dog is just that -for the child. Whether the child be blind, deaf, autistic or in need of assistance due to some other issue, it is a necessity for that child and therefore, can not be denied access. I wrote back and told my cousin to tell her friend to go after that school district, big time, to get the child and dog both reinstated in the school.
I really admire you for knowing what you can and can not handle right now. So many people aquire pets as if they're adding an accessory with no thought to the animal's needs.
I love youse guys :)
I was going to suggest that you may not want to add to your responsibilites! It's a lot of work. I never gave in but my son has one now that he lives on his own.
At least Connor has dogs he can see at day care.
It's really interesting how they make the connection.
I love the Awe-tism statement~!
I love all the information you provide on Autism. You do good!
When Mattie was little, he used to enjoy the eyes of dogs. The bad thing to this is his wanting to touch the eye and when he did, would accidentally poke the poor thing, not hard mind you but enough to decide it was time to move to other forms of play.
Now, he pays very little attention, if any, to our dog. He does, however, find the dog's shaking his coat/wagging his tail a form of amusement...will touch the tail and enjoy the breeze it provides, all the while with a huge grin on his face! LOL! *HUGS & SMILES*
I'm so glad that I interviewed Canine Companions for Independence on my Blogsite. Yesterday, a cute little Terrier came in to the office with a woman and was so fun. Animals can give love unconditionally and even pick up on children with special needs! Great post as always Linda!
I hear you about not wanting a pet right now. I would rather just dog sit for my sister occassionally.
I never realized that your ds had been diagonised (sp?) as autistic. You are extremely lucky that he has been diagonised so early. ((hugs)) You are a great mom.
I think animals, especially cats and dogs, are a bit psychic ... or at the least, a bit intuitive in knowing their masters needs and even whereabouts. But sometimes owning one just doesn't fit a family's schedule and abilities, as you say.
Post a Comment