Comedy Central hosted a benefit for autism education last night in hopes of establishing more teacher education programs at Hunter College in NYC to be better prepared for teaching children with autism and to provide more programs for children with autism who are not receiving services who are in need.
While I wished that they had more awareness going on-nothing truly described what autism is, except for two segments that showed how difficult communication can be for these individuals-I don't know that an average non-autism-informed viewer would completely grasp why this cause was so important from two little segments. BUT, I really do believe that promoting quality teacher education is essential in dealing with the now, rather than that what could have been or looking for cures.
One mom said that she waited so many years for her child to be able to blow out his own birthday candle. And she said "Those are my milestones." It's a whole new perspective. Your milestone compared to mine, compared to her-all different. For some, saying "Mommy" or giving a brief flutter of eye contact is an enormous mile marker. I wanted to hug every single one of the parents and kids in the segments.
They have it much more difficult than I do and some might wait forever for their milestone to come. Regardless, where ever we are actually are on the spectrum with Connor, I have a much greater appreciation for parents who are raising children with autism and cannot imagine a system that doesn't provide help and therapies for the children and support for parents.
If I were a rich man....
3 comments:
We have a "milestone" of sorts happening here today -Kurtis gets to meet his TSS this morning. It's my understanding she will be with him -and us -for 15-20 hours a week. Mandy learned too who will be the ABA specialist he will soon be working with as well and she's hoping things work out ok with the specialist. Kurtis did well Monday afternoon with his speech therapist -seemed to be starting to show a bit more eye contact. Baby steps, baby steps -just have to remember that.
I was kind of disappointed in the entire event. It seemed so thrown together! Although Jon did his best as he always does.
If I didn't know anyone autistic, if I didn't read your blog and Jeni's and Casdock's and Michele's I would not have seen of felt much in those little snippets they showed.
But - I am glad they raised money.
I missed it, but I'm glad anytime money is raised for this most worthwhile cause!
Post a Comment