Thursday, April 03, 2008

Autism Awareness Day 4: Typical




My oldest son, Ian is a brilliant and typical three-and-a-half year old boy. Brilliant, because I am just that biased. Typical because we have all encountered three-year-old children and they can be a lion or a lamb. He is also known as a typical sibling, meaning he does not have autism. In my own mind, typical is a PC way of saying normal. Meaning my younger boy, Connor is apparently atypical or abnormal because he has autism. I hardly ever call Ian typical, but that is how most parents, doctors and educators refer to the unaffected siblings.

Ian is a creature of habit, not unlike myself. We enjoy routine and knowing what comes next. He is a bit shy like me-maybe not as painfully as when I was a child, but it's there in bigger crowds. He loves books, Star Wars and Backyardigans songs. He is even learning how to read at the tender age of three-a boy after my own goody-two-shoes heart.

He is also has the patience of a three-year-old (not much) and the independence of a three-year-old, politely declining to sit in time out or plastering an Oscar the Grouch face with the best of 'em. He can drive you up a wall and turn around and kiss you and say, "I just love you, Mommy" and my annoyance dissipates.

With Connor, Ian has had it the hardest. After school routine changes day to day depending on Connor's therapy appointments. Sometimes he is left out of the sessions to play on his own, which he finds rightfully unfair. He tries joining in the occupational therapy sessions and finds it pretty boring to roll a ball back and forth while trying to get Connor to play and say someone's name. Asserting independence is one way he gets a bit of attention for himself and also reminds us how important he is. Sometimes Connor is just a bother. Sometimes he surprises us by reading to Connor or helping him with a task.

One reason I actually knew something was amiss with Connor was because of Ian. Ian was a sponge, especially in the verbal department. He talked correctly - no baby talk- and learned words almost instantly. He knew colors, numbers in English and Spanish, could do puzzles, sat for books-on and on. When Connor took longer to talk, we realized that we had to learn a new way to teach Connor language. When the little repertoire of words he did say disappeared, it was a huge indicator of things to come. If I didn't have Ian as a reference-granted he was setting the bar high for communication-we might not have figured out Connor's situation until much later.

We love Ian so much and it has been hard on us to find the time for him, for Connor, for both and for all of us together. He truly benefits from having some time with each of us where we can appreciate and love him. Uncle Mike has been teaching him some great things about being an older brother and I have every confidence that Ian will teach Connor great things about life and love-as much as he is already teaching us.

As the older brother, Ian usually leads the toothbrushing sessions in the evening. He will prepare Connor's toothbrush with a miniscule drop of toothpaste (Ian's own brush is usually laden with blue berry paste-yick) and gets Connor to come in and brush. This afternoon, I took Ian to his dentist appointment, where he received a 100 % cavity-free sticker and was complimented on his above-average behavior. I promised the grandmas some photos of the dentist appointment-so enjoy!

My closing point is that I hope we are all atypical. I hope that we are all fabulously gifted in our own way, autism or not, each of us brings something tremendous to life. And both of my boys have contributed to giving us a life that is anything but typical. It's called being blessed.








8 comments:

Raven said...

I think you are writing a book without realizing it. This is beautifully written and says a lot of important things. Love the photos too.

Thinking of all of us as atypical is a great way to look at life and your fellow humans. It would be a much nicer world if we could rejoice in our differences rather than be afraid of them.

It has been a particularly trying time here tonight in kitty world. Tara Grace (the well behaved one) has been doing her kitty version of stimming. She can run around in circles muttering for hours and often stomps on my keyboard as part of her routine. Mostly it's just mildly annoying but tonight I was trying to watch a movie on the computer and she muted it at one point and it took me ten minutes to figure out how to unmute it (I'm not very bright) - and then for her next trick - just at a really moving moment and literally two minutes from the end - she somehow stomped it back to the beginning and it took me about 15 minutes to get it back to the end. And while I was doing this, I was also fending off more of her stomping circles. I lost my temper and screamed at her so loudly that it scared her. It's a side of myself I'm not very fond of. I'm slowly discovering that Tara wants to be touched when she's like that... or at any rate touch will calm her for a time.

I hesitate to share this because Tara Grace is a cat, but she is also the my child in some ways. If there was such a thing as autism in cats, Tara would fit the bill. She is very affectionate and at times almost desperately craves connection - but doesn't quite know how to receive it... and she has her ritual circling that she can do for hours at a time. Because she's a cat, it has it's humorous side, but it also troubles me sometimes when it lasts especially long like it has tonight. She has only slowly learned to play. She is eccentric for sure.

I'm not sure what my point is... I guess if it's this difficult and painful to watch this in my kitty, how much more intense it must be with a child. And I guess... the other thing is that Tara Grace - is uniquely herself and I love her more with each passing day... even on days when my inner monster comes out and loses patience with her.

She is atypical and perfectly herself.

Mary said...

I enjoyed your post considerably and am glad I dropped by. Each child that is given to us is precious and a blessing from God, whether or not they have autism. Brandon has taught us many things in his life.

Loved the photos of the dentist visit. Thanks so much for sharing. I have more about Brandon posted tonight.

Blessings,
Mary

Casdok said...

Autism seems to bring out the passion in mothers, as your post shows.
We certainly are all blessed.

julie said...

I'm glad to see the dentist visit went well! And I don't think you're too biased - Ian is brilliant :)

Michelle Quinno said...

Great photos! You need to scrap them! LOL

I'm sure he will teach his brother many things over the years and he'll learn to be patient as he gets older.

Jeni said...

It took me what seemed like forever to finally get my last post up and then, I forgot to link it to your after all. I'll correct for that in the next one though.
This was a great post Linda -about kids -of all varieties -NT or autistic. One thing though you might be interested in - go to this blog http://autism.gbrettmiller.com/
(29 Marbles, is the name of the blog) and check out his post "A World Without Autism" and leave a comment. I'm betting you see things just about the same way I do.
Keep plugging away! I have about 13 pages in a word document written up now to be broken up and posted with photos so I won't get my fanny so darned far behind.

Minnesotablue said...

Such a heartfelt post. It can be very difficult for the child who doesn't require as much as the other, but you are doing a great job in recognizing that Connor needs you also. Keep up the good work

Raven said...

Hi Linda - next time you pop by Raven's Nest... look for a post called Honored...