Connor has been having some tremendous weeks and lots of talking using actual words. Tonight was a little more trying for our little monkey.
Tom's school has a carnival each year as a fundraiser (an Arizona thing apparently-I cannot see NY schools doing this!). It is really fun, with food, bouncers, games, a fire truck and the best part-a Medivac helicopter.
I brought the boys down and as we were walking to the school, Connor was on the sidewalk and veered off to cross a busy street (I was right next to him, so he didn't get close to the street, but he was full tilt ahead). He was unhappy that I made him walk on the sidewalk. We had to wait on line for tickets so we could buy food, which made both Ian and Connor pretty unhappy.
Connor, after eating his dinner, got up and ran for the playground without looking back. I had to grab him again and again, he was not a happy child. We headed for the helicopter, which he loved. He walked around it and was happy to climb inside the cockpit too. Ian also sat in the cockpit and proceeded to ask the pilot about every single button on the console. He was most interested in how to turn the helicopter on and off. Another pilot later explained the difference between wings and blades and how helicopters are different. I might have a pilot and a race car driver on hand. (someone pass the sangria)
Anyway, the crowd of people was a little too much for both boys. Connor-in his genuine toddlerness-wants to run free, unconfined. He also becomes much more prone to meltdowns. We should know better, but we did want him to be able to see the helicopter and truck up close. And that he did enjoy.
On a great note, we are dog-sitting for my friend Julie. Her dogs are just the prettiest and sweetest dogs. Her one dog is like my shadow, following me from room to room. The boys are thrilled too-Ian was tossing a ball with them, handing them their rawhides and helped me take them for a walk. Connor tried feeding the dogs his juice cup, which Lyra was very happy to oblige him, even if she didn't get any actual liquid. Zoe also sat with us on the couch while reading books. I am exacting revenge on the neighborhood dogs who resound in chorus each evening. I finally gave them something to bark about.
Hopefully Connor's day will improve tomorrow. We don't plan on any serious outings, so he should be okay.
2 comments:
I have meltdowns in crowded venues all the time. I'll share my Bloomingdales panic attack with you one day - talk about a carnival.
The private schools here in NJ have carnivals like these. And it is always fun but it is also always a trial for the little ones and the big ones.
Have fun with the puppies, and photos please!
Hey - don't forget it's Wordzzle Day!
Post a Comment