Monday, April 28, 2008

Autism Awareness Day 25: Sign Language

I am working to get my quota in before Wednesday. So, be sure to read the previous post also published tonight.

My first encounter with sign language was back in New York while teaching music. My vice-principal Frank Annis (who to this day is still the example I compare the rest of my principals to....none have come close) is hearing impaired. He wears hearing aids, reads lips, knows sign language. Shannon and I would have him come in and teach "Let There Be Peace On Earth" in sign language to our students for our annual singalong. I learned quite a bit but I didn't truly appreciate it more than to enjoy how it fit with our music. Frank loved teaching our kids and I know if I asked him even now for advice-he would love to help.

Fast forward to Ian learning to talk. Ian, my verbal sponge and I researched the various ways to introduce words to him. Baby Sign Language seemed to be a bit of a fad-like a clicky little group and I didn't see the point. If I taught Ian to sign, would he actually talk or become lazy? So, I shelved the signing after seeing my word wizard work wonders.

Fast forward to Connor. Our two therapists both suggested sign language for Connor since he wasn't speaking much and his frustration level was code red. Again, I felt tremendous reluctance because I didn't think he would ever talk if he could sign. But, I shelved my own doubts and we worked on signing. It took a long time, but over Thanksgiving weekend, Connor actually signed for the first time on his own. The picture above is the "more" sign while Daddy plays with him.

Fast forward to last week. The speech therapist wants to see more from Connor, so she began working on the word "want" as in "want more" or "want car", etc. She showed him the sign for "want" and we did a hand over hand with him to help him form the sign. He was confused initially as she had him sign for each puzzle piece. She kept at it and had to sign hand over hand every time before giving him the piece. I worked on it a bit over the weekend and he did the sign prompted on his own, but didn't say "want".

I see the power of having a non-verbal way to communicate. I see how my son is learning so much more than if I berated him verbally with spoken words.

My friend Laura is studying sign language and interpreting. She has a son with autism and I have emailed her several times with questions on signing. She always, always responds with some terrific ideas and it has been a great education for me to broaden my viewpoint. She is also writing some tremendous entries about autism and I encourage you to please stop by and say hi. Everyone can use a new blogger friend and she is GREAT.


5 comments:

Akelamalu said...

My youngest grandson uses baby signing. There is nothing to prevent him talking, which he is learning to do, but at least he can make himself understood whilst he's learning. :)

I love the photograph btw. :)

Dianne said...

I love the photo too!

and the one beneath, at the other post!!

talk about big soulful eyes and his eyelashes!! wow!

and he looks so happy which is the most beautiful part.

Minnesotablue said...

Connor looks so happy and his eyes are to die for.
I have always wanted to learning signing but never did. It's another way of communicating and communication is so important. I just love that little guy.

Raven said...

I so appreciate all I'm learning from you on the subject of autism... and I enjoy the joy of learning about Connor and Ian and the journey of parenthood. Your boys chose their parents well.

Michelle Quinno said...

I can't imagine trying to teach a child how to sign. I wouldn't mind learning it myself. I bet Connor will do both as he gets older.